When a tooth is damaged, or broken dentists fix it with a crown, filling or other treatments. However, sometimes the damage may be too much, and the tooth has to be extracted. We provide state of the art tooth extraction services in Brooklyn. Our experienced dentists and surgeons perform all required procedures professionally with passion. If you have trouble with your teeth, get in touch with us.
Reasons for teeth extraction
- People receiving cancer treatment often need teeth/tooth extraction after their teeth become infected. The infections are caused by the weakened immune system from the cancer drugs.
- Wisdom teeth often have to be extracted if they cause pain, have cysts or are decayed.
- People with braces may need tooth extraction when necessary for teeth alignment.
- Baby teeth may not fall out in time for growth of new teeth. The stubborn tooth needs extraction.
- When a person has an extra tooth that is preventing the growth of another tooth.
- When a person undergoes an organ transplant, their immunity tends to be weak. A decayed tooth could cause an infection in the patient. Therefore, the deteriorated tooth is extracted before the transplant.
- Teeth blocking radiation field of a person receiving treatment in the head or neck will also be extracted.
The Tooth Extraction Process
Our specialist may take an x-ray observation of the problematic area. It is prudent to give the dentist or dental surgeon your full medical history including any medication or supplements you are using. This information will assist decide on the most suitable anesthetic to use and when to schedule the procedure. The doctor should also be notified of any health changes before the process even a common cold.
On the Day of the Procedure
Although not mandatory for adults, a friend or relative can accompany the patient after the procedure. Short sleeves are best for that day, as the patient may need an IV drip. Smoking is also discouraged on that day as it may cause a painful condition known as dry socket.
After the Procedure
After the removal, the doctor will give you toothcare instructions. Ask the specialist any questions or concerns before you go home. Let them address any fears you may have. The doctor is also likely to give you pain medication. Take some before the anesthetic wears off and keep taking them as need be.
You may use an ice pack to bring down the swelling after every 20 minutes. Soft food will be easy to chew till the discomfort goes away.
Like all other invasive procedure, tooth extraction has risks, especially when done by inexperienced or unqualified people. They include:
- A fractured jaw. It may happen to older people with a thinning jawbone. The fracture could be caused by the pressure to the jaw bone during extraction.
- Damage to a nearby tooth.
- When the extraction is incomplete, and root remains in the jaw.
Tooth extraction is a standard procedure. Provided you chose a qualified, experienced and recommended dentist or dental surgeon and a top-notch health facility too removal will be successful. If that tooth is the cause of your sleepless nights or the reason you cannot enjoy cold drinks get in touch with us in Brooklyn.